Dear Parents & Carers
A very warm welcome to the 2020 school year! A special welcome to new staff, students and families who are joining the Holy Spirit community for the first time. I hope everyone’s time at Holy Spirit will be exciting, rewarding and happy.
A HUGE THANK YOU to our community for the overwhelming success of our recent Gift Card Drive. We distributed about $6000 worth of Gift Cards to so many families affected by fires on the south coast and in the snowy mountain regions. I have received many emails and texts from the people we supported………
The gift cards from the Holy Spirit community bought some joy into our day. We cannot thank you enough for your kindness. It is quite overwhelming. Thank you
The gift cards are truly a beautiful gift from your school community. My community, who have been severely impacted by these fires, will certainly appreciate your generosity. Please thank your wonderful community. Your kindness is so appreciated.
The joy on the faces of families was truly uplifting. Please thank the Holy Spirit community for their generosity and compassion. You are fortunate to lead such an inspiring community.
This is truly amazing! I know that our families will really appreciate this wonderful act of kindness. I will look forward to distributing the vouchers on your behalf. Please thank your school community for their generosity.
Thank you so much for the vouchers you collected for my community. Our community will benefit greatly.
Please thank Mr Gaynor for the gifts cards we received. They made such a difference during a difficult time and will help us rebuild our lives. Thank you!
A reminder that the school calendar is only available online through the SZapp, Facebook and Website. The Newsletter and parent emails from teachers will continue to highlight upcoming events too, to ensure that parents and families are fully aware of what is on.
Thank you to the many parents who have made that extra effort to send their children to school with the correct school uniform. It is great to see the students wearing their uniform with pride.
SCHOOLZINE APP & FACEBOOK
A reminder to get the SZapp! Please go to the App Store or the Google Shop to download the App. It is free! All information is only sent to families who have subscribed to Holy Spirit through SZapp. Also ‘Like’ us on Facebook!
- Supervision commences at 8.30am and NO STUDENT should be at school before 8.30am. Students arriving before 8.30am are unsupervised. Please use before school care if necessary.
- A student’s hair should be cut off their face and, if longer than shoulder length, it must be tied back in an appropriate school coloured band. Hair should also be of natural colour and extreme haircuts are not permitted.
- No jewellery should be worn to school and only plain studs and watches are acceptable. No bracelets, bangles, sparkly ear rings, nail polish, make up, etc are allowed. Small sleepers are only permitted with written recommendation from a medical practitioner.
- Correct School Uniform must be worn at all times. Students who continually wear incorrect uniform will receive a reminder note to be sent home to their parents.
- Holy Spirit Primary School has a NO HAT PLAY IN THE SHADE Students without a correct school hat will be asked to sit under the shade structures on the concrete area..
- Black canvas type school shoes are not part of the school uniform. The only school shoes allowed at Holy Spirit Primary School are the traditional or formal black leather school shoes.
- On sport days, sports shoes should be predominantly white.
- Students with Mobile Phones are asked to switch the phone off and leave it in their bags. If mobile phones are heard or sighted during school time they will be confiscated. The School takes no responsibility for lost or broken mobile phones.
- Students who are collected by their parents during the day for appointments must be signed out/in at the Front Office before and after the appointment.
- Parents visiting the school to assist must have a Working with Vulnerable People Card and are also asked to sign in at Front Office and receive a Visitor’s Badge.
- Please ensure that the School always has up to date contact and emergency details for your children.
- Holy Spirit Primary School is a NUT FREE School. Please remember this when preparing recess and lunch, including peanut butter, Nutella, cakes with nuts, etc.
- Dogs are not allowed on school premises.
- Afternoon messages regarding changes to the afternoon routine must be received by the Front Office by 2.30pm or we cannot guarantee your child/ren will receive the message.
- Medical details must be updated and sent to the Front Office.
- Carpark - Please remember to be patient and considerate of others when driving in the car parks. School carparks are notoriously dangerous and ALL PARENTS are asked to be patient and alert. If you are in a hurry, collect your children early or wait until after 3.20pm when the carpark is less congested.
- Absences from school – it is a legal requirement that all absences are explained. Please notify the school of your child’s absence by either :
- Using the SZApp
- Calling the Front Office followed by a note to the classroom teacher indicating date and reason for absence.
- Emailing the Front Office at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your child’s name, class, reason for absence and date.
- Sending a note to the classroom teacher indicating date and reason for absence.
Hello and welcome to a new school year! A very special welcome to all our new Defence Families especially those who have posted in from interstate.
This year we welcome to Kinder – Hugo, Logan, Vivienne, Juliette, Amelia R, Louise, Nathaniel and Amelia S. In other grades we welcome Emelie and Lillian in Yr 1, Finn and Melody in Yr 2, Imogen in Yr 3, Owen, Angus and William in Yr 4, Asher, Ava and Isla in Yr 5, Isabelle B, Faith, Charlotte, Isabelle G, Stella and Patrick in Yr 6! Wow, what a healthy group of new Defence students!
I will be running a deployment group this term for our Defence students whose parents are absent. Please let me know if you have a partner currently deployed or likely to do so in the future, so I may include them in our group and monitor their wellbeing.
Our Defence Kids Club (DKC) will be held on Wednesdays at lunchtime each week. This is a great opportunity for all of our Defence students to meet with each other and have some fun.
A few dates for your diary….
Thursday, 27 February – Welcome Defence Breakfast at Holy Spirit
Wednesday, 1 April - ANZAC Day Ceremony at Holy Spirit
Don’t forget DCO’s Welcome to Canberra Event on Friday, 14 February from 4.30-7pm at the RMC Duntroon Pool. If you have you recently posted into Canberra and want to find out what the area has to offer, this is a great opportunity to find out about the local services for ADF members and their families. A range of local community groups, Defence and ACT Government services will be available to answer your questions and provide information about support, assistance and activities available in the area. Be sure to register on Eventbrite by Wednesday 5 February 2020.
I will be sending out information to all of our Defence Families in the next week. If you do not receive any correspondence, please contact me. No man left behind! If you have any concerns about your child, please contact me. Vicki.email@example.com
Defence School Mentor
It has been a busy time over the holidays with a few works being completed. We have new sliding doors in the Hall and Library, a freshly polished Hall floor, a new Hall sound system, security cameras around the school, and a new path.
E Safety Night for Parents
All parents, especially those with children from Years 3-6, are invited to attend a special presentation from the AFP on Cyber Safety for Children. The Think U Know Parent Presentation will be on Wednesday 19 February from 6.00pm to 7.30pm.
My name is Keeva Mostyn and I am the school counsellor allocated to Holy Spirit Primary School via CathoicCare Canberra & Goulburn. I am a social worker and have spent the last 9 years in a Catholic school in Sydney. I look forward to getting to know the Holy Spirit community and working with students, staff and parents.
My days at Holy Spirit are Thursdays and Fridays. As it is a new school year, all students wishing to see me will need a new referral completed.
Referrals are available by contacting Brad Gaynor or Anna D'Amico at the school.
This wonderful Australian family movie opens in cinemas across Australia today (6th Feb). It was written and produced by the sister (Lisa Hoppe) of our Student Welfare Officer and CSA, Sharon Harrison.
Sharon has organised a special screening of the movie at Event Cinemas in Manuka for this Saturday (8th Feb), with her sister Lisa Hoppe as special guest for a Q & A. The tickets are at the special price of $9.00 each - the link is below. Here is a recent review of the movie -
There is also a great write up in this week’s Her Canberra Magazine -
As we start a new school year, Transport Canberra would like to remind parents and students about our services and how to best prepare for travel on both bus and light rail in the new year. Details of all school and regular services are available online for parents and students to begin planning their journeys.
School routes and services remain unchanged for 2020. Transport Canberra is here to support the safe passage of students to and from school using public transport and active travel options. To assist in planning school bus travel, use our handy tips and information.