Dear Parents & Carers
It is hard to believe we have nearly reached the halfway point of 2020. What a year we have had - fire, hail, and COVID19. We all survived the COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions, and our students, parents/carers and staff have done a wonderful job ensuring learning for students continued, although there were some frustrating times, family celebrations missed and losses that had to be shared in a different way with many events cancelled or postponed.
Throughout the term, we have closely followed the guidelines set by the ACT Government and Catholic Education. This has meant many changes/restrictions for access to classrooms/grounds, Sacraments, remote learning, cancelling of events, Masses, Prayer Focus, and assemblies. In all these inconveniences to normal school life, the one thing that has shone through has been the resilience of our community - especially our students. Special thanks to everyone!
TERM 3 RESTRICTIONS
We are ready for the next stage of our COVID-19 roadmap. From Monday 20 July, the following activities can resume, providing government health advice, and physical distancing requirements are followed.
- Morning drop off and courts parking will return to normal, but parents are asked to only enter the grounds if necessary and not enter classrooms;
- In the mornings, students will continue to drop their bags at their classrooms and play. We will only meet for a morning assembly on the Concrete on Monday mornings.
- Volunteers and other service providers may again enter school but will need to sign in at the Front Office for tracing purposes.
- Prayer assemblies will resume on Wednesdays, however, without parents due to limitations on parent/carer numbers (as per health advice) and lack of space for physical distancing in the hall.
- Parent-teacher interviews will be face to face (more information next term)
- Excursions may resume, however as groups must not exceed 100 people (this number includes adults) we may have to do this with 2 classes at a time.
- Afternoon routine will remain as per normal but families are asked to remain outside of classrooms and to observe physical distancing.
Please note physical distancing, hand sanitiser and tracing are still a requirement with adults.
We appreciate your patience and supporting us with the easing of restrictions. We look forward to moving ahead over the next 6 months to get back to some more normal routines and practices.
With the holidays approaching, it is a good time to get all uniform requirements ready for the start of Term 3. Some reminders please:
- navy sports jackets for sport only;
- navy scarves, gloves and beanies only;
- correct school pants;
- navy leggings or stockings only under school tunic;
- correct school shoes; and
- Holy Spirit School bag.
Please support us by ensuring the students wear the correct uniform to school. There seems to be a growing number of nonschool coloured tops and pants being worn. We will follow these up more next term. Thank you.
Also, over the holidays could you please check all school uniforms for names? We have parents who have labelled clothing and cannot find the missing uniform. A check by everyone over the break would be much appreciated. Thanks.
PARENT COMMITMENT AGREEMENT
From 2020 onwards offers of enrolment for schools in the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn Catholic (CECG) School System will be conditional on parents of prospective students agreeing to be bound by the Parent Declarations and Commitments that are made in the Parent Commitment Agreement (PCA).
The purpose of the PCA is to clearly set out at the commencement of each child’s educational journey with Archdiocesan Catholic schools and the expectations that CECG has of parents within Catholic schools. It is designed to help us to keep students, Principals, teachers, support staff, and parents within our schools safe as well as assist the operation of our schools.
We rely on parents supporting our schools, our teachers, our support staff, and principals like myself. Co-operative working relationships with parents and students are a hugely important part of delivering our educational programs in an environment that is both physically and psychologically safe.
- Congratulations to Rebekah Fuller who has been appointed as Religious Education Coordinator for the remainder of the year. This appointment is a result of Jessical Pearson Lee commencing maternity leave. We wish Jessica (and Ricky) every happiness as she awaits the arrival of her first child. We can't wait to hear the news!
- Thank you to Diana Masters and Maree Bertilsson who will replace Jess on class in Year 1.
- We welcome Kate Foley who will work in Year 6 with Rebekah Fuller.
- We farewell Catherine Morris from our Library staff and welcome Sarah McGoram to our staff. Sarah will work one day a week in the Library and spend some time supporting our early career teachers.
- David Camp is taking the term off to spent time with his young family. Amy Eveston will work four days a week in the Library during Term 3.
I look forward to welcoming you all back to school on Monday July 20th – not only the children but parents, carers, and friends. In the meantime, stay safe, stay well, and look after the health and wellbeing of you and your family.
DR SEUSS & CRAZY SOCK & BEANIE DAY
DON'T FORGET FRIDAY! We can't wait to see Kinder all dressed up for their Dr Seuss Day and everyone wearing crazy socks and beanies! Great way to finish the term.
May God bless you and your families
On Wednesday the Confirmation candidates took home important information regarding the registration process for Confirmation Masses next term.
Please register for a Mass as soon as possible and complete/ return the slip attached at your earliest convenience.
FIRST RECONCILIATION & EUCHARIST
Thank you to the families who were able to join us on Tuesday night. Please remember to enrol for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist via the Pocket Parish app or through the Parish website by July 3. Payment for the Sacraments can be made via our QKR app.
The Commitment Masses for these Sacraments will be held over the weekend of July 25 & 26, 2020.
For more information regarding these Sacraments please contact Louise Johnson via email:
This week, 6 Burgess & 6 Fuller celebrated Mass with Fr Mark. It was a prayerful and reverent way to spend the morning. Thank you to Fr Mark for sharing your time with us.
Next term, Rebekah Fuller will be the Religious Education Coordinator for Holy Spirit Primary School, as I will be on Maternity Leave. If you have any questions or queries regarding the Sacraments please contact her via email: email@example.com
Have a restful and safe holiday break,
Religious Education Coordinator
Support over the holidays (and anytime)
Defence Community Organisation (DCO) - For ADF members and their families
This is your first point of call for support, information and connection with your Defence community.
DCO offers a broad range of programs and services to help Defence families manage the military way of life. To access any of DCO support services. Contact the 24/7 Defence Family Helpline.
Don’t forget the final webinar run by DCO Leading your children through COVID19. This will be on 15 July 2020 at 8pm and tickets are available through Eventbrite. Please follow this link. https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/an-adf-families-webinar-leading-your-children-through-covid-19-tickets-111905634766
Open Arms offers face-to-face, telephone and online counselling. It is open 24/7 if you need someone to talk to. Or, if you’re simply after some helpful hints for staying calm and coping with the pandemic check out our COVID-19 page. All counselling is arranged by calling 1800 011 046 .
DFA is a not for profit organisation made up of partners of current serving members. DFA advocates for Defence families and advise Defence and government on the issues facing our families. Contact your local ACT Delegate on firstname.lastname@example.org or find them on Facebook www.facebook.com/DFAACTSouthernNSW
Our Defence Kids Club (DKC) will continue on Wednesdays at lunchtimes next Term. Our Friendship Group will also be held on Wednesday mornings for the children of deployed, MWD(U) or absent parents. Please feel free to contact me any time if you have concerns about your child.
Thank you to our families who returned our Defence Bears to Barracks. They had a wonderful time with you! Enjoy the break over the holidays and I look forward to working with your children in Term 3. Take care!
Term 2 School Fees are now overdue, except for those families on Direct Debit. Please arrange payment of your outstanding account. If you are experiencing difficulty in meeting your school fee obligation, please contact the office to arrange an appointment to meet with the Principal early next term.